Tapes (and written material) No Longer Available & Why
Because Scripture is of no private interpretation (2 Peter 1:20), and Darwin Fish is not infallible, James 3:1-2 (yet, the Word is, Psalm 19:7), the following is given to document what has been corrected or discarded, and why. Some tapes have been discarded that could have been saved (by editing), but our editing capabilities are primitive (and time consuming). It is easier to simply discard the tape.
We have learned much throughout the years (Psalm 141:5), thus we are forced by Scripture to change and repent. So, this documentation not only exemplifies the changes, but also our desire to walk in the light (1 John 1:5-6) and to conform to the Word of God (Proverbs 3:5-6). Also, this document does not include any editing that has been done throughout the years (and there have been several).
Considering that the following documents some of Darwin Fish's errors (false teaching), what is different about Darwin Fish and the men he exposes? 1 Timothy 6:3 begins an explanation.
If anyone teaches otherwise and does not consent to wholesome words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and the doctrine which accords with godliness, he is proud, . . .
There are several other factors to look at (like their wanting your money, 2 Corinthians 2:17; 2 Peter 2:3; how people speak well of them, Luke 6:26; their ecumenism, 2 John 9-11; their silence, John 10:12-13, and their overall character of false doctrine 1 John 2:3-4; 2 John 9; Please see our report Identifying False Teachers), but one factor that separates the true from the false is their consenting, or lack of consenting to the truth ("wholesome words", "the words of our Lord Jesus Christ", "and the doctrine which accords with godliness", 1 Timothy 6:3). No man is perfect (Romans 3:23). But all men are required to take heed to the perfect Word (Hebrews 4:12-13). Those who do so are God's (John 10:4-5; 1 Corinthians 11:31). Those who do not are of the devil (John 14:23-24; 1 John 3:8, 10).
Some may argue that we should confront the people we expose so that they might have an opportunity to "consent to wholesome words" (1 Timothy 6:3). The problem with this is, if it is clear already that they are false teachers (see Identifying False Teachers), the Wisdom of God tells us not to confront them (that is, privately for their benefit, Matthew 7:6). Those (MacArthur and company primarily) we have confronted in the past (before we understood the warning of Matthew 7:6) have not consented, but rather tore us (character assassination) to pieces (as the Scripture says, Matthew 7:6).
Now, the first year (1993) of tapes up until the exposure of John MacArthur as a false teacher (Feburary, 1994), have been discarded. Although we were in the process of exposing falsehood within the prevailing false Christian world during that first year (e.g. the evil of Christmas; Dobson as a false teacher), best we can tell, we were still on this broad way (Matthew 7:13-14). Therefore, we decided to discard the first year of tapes. Any message that was discarded and never made it to the tape catalog (that was not one of those early tapes) are not herein spelled out. Any other tapes that may have either not turned out or were accidentally ruined are also not specifically noted here. Other tapes or written material are recorded below:
1. God's Awesome Word (8-23-94) - Darwin felt this message was poorly prepared and thus poorly delivered. Therefore, it was thrown away.
2. Biblical Counseling, What A Farce, Part 1 (4-7-94) - This tape was discarded, because Darwin eventually felt that it was not presented very well, and the Biblical Counseling, What A Farce, Part 2, was sufficient to cover the issue.
3. A Message To Those Left Behind (3-20-94); He Is Coming (7-24-94); When Is The Rapture? Part 1 & 2 (11-20-94 & 11-27-94); and Pre-wrath/2 Thessalonians 2:1-8 (12-1-94), and also the book, The Coming Of Our Lord Jesus. - All of these have been discarded due to the fact that they were taught from a Pre-tribulational Rapture position. It has since been learned that a Pre-tribulational Rapture (a Rapture at the very beginning of those last seven years) is contrary to what is revealed in 2 Thessalonians 2:1-4. This error was publicly exposed on the tape, The Rapture Revisited (8-3-95).
4. The Rapture Revisited (8-3-95) and When Is The Rapture (8-6-95). - Both of these messages were preached from a perspective that we cannot know when the Rapture (1 Thessalonians 4:15-17) will happen. Since these studies, it has been seen from 2 Thessalonians 2:1-4 that Paul says that the coming of Christ (which is equal to the Rapture; our gathering together with Him" - 2 Thessalonians 2:1) cannot come until the apostasy comes first and the man of sin is revealed. This indicates that the Rapture will not happen until at least the mid-point of those last seven years, either immediately following the apostasy, or sometime thereafter. Therefore, a general timing of the Rapture (from 2 Thessalonians 2:1-4) can be obtained.
5. The Fear of God/The Fear of Man - Because of an error regarding someone's dream mentioned on the tape, and the difficulty of editing, this tape was discarded. The subject matter is addressed on other tapes ("The True Fear of God", and "Be Careful & Fear").
6. What Is Happening To The Church? (2-17-94) - On this tape an over-statement was made regarding Dobson that he is "the worst enemy of our soul". "One of the worst enemies of our souls" would have been fine. But it is hyperbole to say "the worst". Also, it was said that MacArthur was "coming out" of the psychological deceit he was caught in. Actually, this is only by way of appearance. The man is still caught. His "Biblical Counseling" is one example of his entrapment.
7. Identifying False Teachers (2-20-94) - This tape was done when we were first discovering that MacArthur was a false teacher. In a couple of places much stronger arguments could be used in quoting MacArthur's false teaching. Therefore, since a couple of the arguments (not all) are weak, it was felt this tape need not be reproduced. We have plenty of information on MacArthur without this tape.
8. Not Set On Self (8-31-97?) - Darwin felt he could have dealt with the subject of flatulence in a more mature manner. This message was repreached on 7-19-98.
9. Should Christians Be In Debt? (5-5-94) - On this tape Darwin erroneously separated borrowing from lending. The truth is, they go hand in hand. Also stated was, "You don't see a picture of a righteous man borrowing." It appears 2 Kings 4:1 may actually picture this. Also, the tape gave the impression that indebtedness was sin (in and of itself), which is not true. On 11-30-97 the error on this tape was publicly exposed in the message "Debt & My Error". For info on Debt, see our written report.
10. No Resurrection? An Absurd Thought! (4-3-94) - There were quotes from John Owen and Richard Sibbs in a favorable light.
11. The Futile Inheritance, 1 Peter 1:18-19 (3-13-94) - The holiday of New Year's was addressed in such a way as to strongly imply that it would be wrong to celebrate the holiday in any way (See the tape "The Holidays" for further explanation). Also, there were some issues addressed that should have been better clarified. Specifically, the O.T. festivals and the Rose Parade are mentioned without any clarification as to their lawfulness.
12. Ruth (4-3-97) - On this tape, the subject of a single woman working outside the home was erroneously put in a positive light.
13. The Antichrist (8-11-96) - In this it was suggested from Daniel 8 that Antichus Epiphanes may be the Antichrist. Since this study, we have seen that Judas ("the son of perdition", John 17:12; 2 Thessalonians 2:3; 1 John 2:18-19) is more likely the Antichrist.
14. Believers In God, 1 Peter 1:21 (4-24-94) - The exhortation on this tape to have a baby at home went overboard stating there was no reason to have a baby in a hospital, if there were no known problems. Simply not having a midwife for a home birth would be one legitimate reason someone might have a baby in a hospital. Of course, this might perhaps be a "known problem"(?).
15. Sodom, Gomorrah, & Lot, 2 Peter 2:6-8 (11-23-97) - Ezekiel 16:46 was misused. The "Sodom" in Ezekiel 16:46 refers to the area south of Jerusalem, not the "Sodom" destroyed in Genesis 19.
16. Ministry Update (4-21-94) - Darwin was considering going to Indiana and starting a church with Rick Miesel. Darwin considered this because of the "provision" that was there. In retrospect, Darwin felt this was not a good motive.
17. Please Remember! (8-24-97) - The answer given to the question, "If you followed a stranger (John 10:5), did this mean you didn't know God?" was "Maybe, maybe not." That is not true! John 10:5 clearly says His sheep will not follow a stranger.
18. Fearing Our Father 1 Peter 1:17 (3-6-94) - This tape had a quote from John Brown as though he was someone godly who could be quoted.
19. His Plan & His Love 1 Peter 1:20 (4-17-94) - This tape had a quote from A. T. Robertson, who is caught in the false Christianity of this age. Plus, the information on this tape (e.g. MacArthur's error on the Son of God) is better covered elsewhere.
20. The Purification Of Souls 1 Peter 1:22a (5-1-94) - Darwin was not convinced he explained the law properly, and the tape is almost never requested. Thus, it has been discarded.
21. Salvation, Kept or Lost? (7-7-96) - This was re-addressed in "Eternal Security?".
22. The New Birth 1 Peter 1:23 (5-15-94) - On this tape it is stated that we often can't know what's going on with people's hearts. In the context this is stated, it is not true. We can often know (based on the Word of God). It was said that if someone was in opposition, it was not clear if such a one was born again or not. This is wrong (2 Timothy 2:24-26). Also, it was said that Psychology is racking havoc in the "church". This should have been "false church".
23. All Flesh Is As Grass 1 Peter 1:24 (5-22-94) - Near the beginning of the tape, Darwin went beyond the text (Genesis 3) stating that the woman down played God's word by saying "lest you die" and not mentioning "you shall surely die". This is not necessarily down playing God's word. It may simply have been her paraphrase (perhaps).
24. Set Apart From False Teachers (2-27-94) - On side 2 it was stated that someone sitting under a false teacher isn't necessarily lost. The problem with this is, they are, if they are following or not fleeing (John 10:5).
25. Are We Valuable To God? - In this tape Jeremiah 13:1-10 was misused for showing the worthlessness of the sinner. Note verse 10 "shall be". Here He is speaking of what they "shall be" made into (i.e. profitable for nothing). In other words, the "worthlessness" in this text focuses on the future, not the present.
26. Debt and My Error (11-30-98) & Another Look At Debt (12-18-97) - At the time these tapes were taught, Romans 13:8 was not understood. For more info on Debt, see our written report.
27. Yes, God Is Angry (6-5-94) - There were quotes from Johnathan Edwards.
28. Contemplate Hell (3-30-95) - In commenting on Mark 9:44 it was said that there are worms (plural) eating on people. Scripture says "worm" (singular).
29. The End Of All, 1 Peter 4:7 (10-29-95) - At the beginning of the tape a letter from Doug Bennet is read in which it spoke well of the Bobgans and also did not rightly acknowledge the truly "perilous times" we are in (2 Timothy 3:1). Also, on the tape it was said Christ could come back at anytime, not acknowledging 2 Thessalonians 2:1-3.
30. Shepherds Of The Land (5-19-94) - It was said that Hal Lindsey "tends to be ecumenical." The truth is, he is ecumenical. Also, the Bobgan's book on the temperaments was recommended without any warning about the Bobgans.
31. How To Deal With The Rebellious Son (9-1-94) - An extensive quote was given from John R. Rice's booklet Correction & Discipline of Children. Mr. Rice was not in the truth.
32. The Biblical Role For Women, Part 2 (7-7-94) - On this tape it was taught that the head covering of 1 Corinthians 11 was concerning public situations. The problem is, the text says nothing about private or public situations. This has been corrected and re-taught on the message "Head Covering, 1 Corinthians 11:2-16" (7-17-99).
33. Do We Pray For The Wolf? (11-30-95) - Darwin interpreted Jude 22-23 as pertaining to the "certain men" of Jude 4. This is wrong. This error was exposed on 8-1-99 on the tape, "Jude, Part 2."
34. Complaining (9-28-95) - Replaced with Complaining (8-5-99)
35. Our Responsibility Before God (3-27-94) - Quoted Charles Hodge and mentioned several commentators (Calvin, Gill, Fausset, Pool, Henry, Hodge, Spurgeon, and The Preacher's Homiletic Commentary) giving no warning of them being on the broad way (Matthew 7:13).
36. Biblical Role of Women (7-17-99) - The definition on "prophecy" given was wrong and it was left to the conscience whether a woman should have her head covered or not when she silently prays with other believers.
37. Biblical Role For Women, Part 3 (7-14-94) - On this tape it was argued wrongly against 1 Corinthians 11:15 ("her hair is given to her for a covering"). Also, it was said of 1 Corinthians 11:6 that a woman without a head covering would be "looking and acting like a man". This is not what Paul says. Also, regarding 1 Corinthians 11:3, it was argued that if a woman worked for another person outside the home she would have two heads. This is going beyond what is written (1 Corinthians 4:6; Proverbs 30:5-6)
38. Dare You Miss The Obvious (5-12-94) - Quoted Spurgeon and John Owen.
39. How To Deal With Sin (3-31-94) - The subject of alcohol was not dealt with accurately, mainly, that any kind of influence from an alcoholic beverage would be sin. Scripture does not teach this. Drunkenness is indeed sin, but a mild influence does not equate intoxication (Psalm 104:15). For a Biblical discourse on alcohol, please see our report on this subject.
40. Putting Off Sin, 1 Peter 2:1 (6-19-94) - The subject matter of evil speaking was not explained very well. Thus, desiring no confusion, the tape was discarded.
41. Essentials, Part 3 (9-18-94) - It was recommended that the book, Evils of Infant Baptism, by Rob't Boyte C. Howell, be read. Darwin would no longer recommend this.
42. When & How To Rebuke (8-4-96) - On this tape it was erroneously stated that we would not want to be rebuked publicly in the midst of the fellowship. This is not consistent with Psalm 141:5.
43. How Should We Then Live (11-5-95) - Darwin said he was saved in the context of 1980 and on. This is contrary to John 10:5, since Darwin was following MacArthur (a false teacher) for years.
44. Beyond Hope (6-23-94) - In speaking of Luke 18:18f, a reason why Jesus referred to law was given. The text gives no reason why. Also, a clear distinction was not made when speaking of the "Christian" community, that most of it is false.
45. Result Of Our Salvation (8-7-94) - As above, the "church" was mentioned without clarifying that it is the false church (2 Timothy 4:3) that was being spoken of. This clear distinction is desired, therefore the tape was discarded (without bothering to make a simple edit).
46. Disciplining By Faith & A Short Critique Of Dobson's Book The Strong-willed Child (both written). These were discarded because they were written before Darwin exposed MacArthur (John 10:5), and there was no desire to edit them and reproduce them.
47. Never Put To Shame (8-21-94) - 1 Peter 2:6 when compared to Isaiah 28:16 was not well explained.
48. John 10 (9-13-98) - Replaced (Acts 18:26) with John 10 (8-30-00).
49. Many Antichrists (8-25-96), Dealing With Antichrists (9-1-96) - Replaced with Antichrists (9-14-00).
50. Forsaking The Assembling (6-26-97) - It was said regarding Hebrews 10:25 that "as the manner of some" is not referring to antichrists (1 John 2:19). It appears the "some" could very well be speaking of antichrists, or at least inclusive of them.
51. 1 John 3:4-10 (11-27-99) - It was taught regarding 1 John 3:4 & John 8:34 that "the wording here is not "lives in sin, walks in sin," or "practices sin." It simply says "commits sin." This was erroneous. The Greek could well be translated these ways.
52. Mark Minnick (9-23-99) - A point was made about "passive rebellion" that should not have been made. Also, a subjective statement was made regarding how much Scripture Minnick used that was not accurate. What should have been said is that Minnick made several statements that were not backed up with Scripture, and were actually against the Word of God.
53. Pearls Before Swine (4-9-95) - Darwin said he was saved in the context of when he was following MacArthur. This is contrary to John 10:5 and Matthew 7:13.
54. Accusing An Elder, 1 Timothy 5:19-20 (3-17-94) - No clear distinction was made between a false teacher and a sinning elder, and this distinction is desired; thus the tape was discarded.
56. Luke 3:7? (2-11-99) - This contained too much discussion and argumentation.
57. Reminding, 2 Peter 1:12-15 - The statement "familiarity breeds contempt" was given without any Scriptural backing. Also, this concept was used in describing the church of Laodicea (Revelation 3). This went beyond what is written.
58. Honor Your Father & Mother (8-18-94) - It was stated on this tape that alcohol would not be bought in a market in concern for bringing reproach. We have since changed our view on this (Psalm 104:14; Matthew 11:19; John 2; Ephesians 5:18; 1 Timothy 5:23).
59. The Biblical Role For Women, Part 1 (6-30-94) - This was replaced with another teaching on The Biblical Role For Women. For more info on women, see our written report.
60. Overcoming Evil With Good (2-26-95) - An illustration was used which may have been taken from a false Christian source.
61. Catholicism's Demonic Activity (6-8-95) - It was said of Exodus 32:1 that it could be and should be translated "God" instead of "gods." This is not true due to the plural Hebrew verb.
62. Hammond/T. D. Jakes (8-12-99) - Some of the laughter was too loud, and the Jakes info was put (in part) into written form (T. D. Jakes Epitomizes "Lovers Of Themselves").
63. MacArthur's Teaching Re-examined (2-24-94) - At the beginning of this tape it was said "that much of MacArthur's teaching is sound theologically." This statement is no longer something we would want to say, because we now know MacArthur is destitute of the truth (1 Timothy 6:3-5, see our report on MacArthur). Moreover, the tape ends with the indication that we were going to confront MacArthur on his error. This we foolishly did (Matthew 7:6), but would never want to encourage anyone else to do the wrong that we did.
64. The Book Of Hebrews, Part 1, 2, 3, & 4 (12-15-94, 12-22-94, 12-29-94, 1-5-95) - On parts 2 & 3 it was stated that Melchizedek appears to be Christ. In a desire to not go beyond what is written, we pulled this tape. Hebrews gives no certain language on the specific identity of Melchizedek other than the fact that He is an eternal man.
65. How Do You Know If You Are Saved? (6-16-94) - Replaced with How Do You Know If You Are Saved? (9-8-01).
66. Unloving & Unforgiving (11-16-95) - Although the contents may be entirely true, this tape was done on the testimony of one man (2 Corinthians 13:1), and there is no way an outsider could know the truth thereof.
67. How To Listen To God? by Charles Stanley (11-10-94) - We have a more substantial report on Stanley's false teaching now, and Darwin questioned the solidarity of this tape.
68. Maintaining Doctrinal Unity (4-30-95) - It was said on this tape that we would tolerate someone in our midst who believed differently on Scriptural issues so long as they did not cause a division or offense. This is contrary to John 8:47; 1 Corinthians 5:12-13; 2 Timothy 2:20-22; 1 John 2:4 & 4:6. For more info on unity, see our written report.
69. Biblical Role For Men (7-28-94) - It was said on this tape that it appears (and seems) that a part of the curse (Genesis 3) is that man was placed in authority over woman, as if to imply this was not so before the fall. This is contrary to 1 Timothy 2:13. For more info on men, see our written report.
70. Greg Laurie's Teaching Re-examined (7-21-94) - Not sure about the accuracy of a remark made about a letter received. The pertinent material on Laurie is covered in the written report.
71. Divorce & Re-marriage (8-4-94) - Replaced with the written report with the same title. Also, some of the issues in the written report were not understood at the time of the making of this tape.
72. Angels (1-18-98) - It was stated that Christ appears in the Old Testament in human form but the Father does not. This can not be substantiated Biblically. Moreover, speculation was made about angels appearing in different forms. Speculation is not profitable.
73. Children Are A Blessing (4-17-99) - This teaching did not mention a viable option of birth control under certain circumstances, and this was a serious neglect. Although it was never explicitly stated, this tape strongly implied birth control should never be used.
74. SHOULD CHRISTIANS BE IN DEBT? (12-5-98) and DEBT, TURNING AWAY, & "STRESS" (1-7-99) - On both tapes Philemon 18-19 was used as an example of a godly debt in the context of speaking of Romans 13:8. Yet, there is nothing in Philemon indicating that this was a continual obligation (like in Romans 13:8). Therefore, it should not be assumed that Paul's assumption of Onesimus' debt was a continual obligation. For more info, see our report on Debt.
75. The Lord's Supper (8-11-94) - There was a point made on this tape that was trivial. The use of a small cup and cracker was criticized and it should not have been.
a true church, P.O. Box 797, Lake Hughes, CA 93532